Social Emotional Learning is an educational process for learning life skills. Research shows a direct correlation between strong SEL programs and reduced behavioral issues with students. While we know that SEL programs cannot prevent all school emergencies and threats to students, research notes that engaged students who feel safe are less likely to create issues that impact the safety of students and staff and are more likely to report concerns if they encounter them. It is strongly recommended that districts identify an SEL program that best meets the needs of students in a given area.
- The Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL) - This website provides resources for SEL programs, competencies, and approaches if a district is looking for a specific information about the importance of SEL programs.
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports - This site provides technical information about PBIS and includes all pertinent research and resources for schools, parents, and the community.
- StopBullying.gov - This governmental website was established to host state laws regarding bullying, provide tips for what schools and students can do to combat bullying, and has resources for schools and staff looking to address bullying in their schools.
- Restorative Practices: A Guide for Educators - The Schott Foundation supported research on restorative practices and assists educators in establishing positive school climates and culture through restoring relationships between those who have experienced conflict.
- Mental Health in Schools Program and Policy Analysis - This is a detailed, 122 page mental health prevention and incident resource. Parts of this are useful if your district is seeking a checklist for mental health supports. We recommend the crisis response checklist (pages 28-29), district crisis checklist (pages 31-32), crisis screening interviews (pages 42-44) and suicidal risk checklist (pages 87-89).
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - Resources for staff and students to address suicide can be found on this webpage.